Pages

Thursday, March 20, 2014

Thornbrook Park Book Review



Due to be released June 2014
Author : Sherri Browning
Pages : 359
Publisher : Sourcebooks Casablanca

Thornbrook Park is a period piece set in the early 1900's, the Edwardian Era. 
Eve Kendal, our leading lady, is compelled to return to England after the death of her husband. Having been disowned for marrying beneath her, and unable to unravel the mystery of her lost savings, Eve is forced to rely on the kindness of her close friend Sophia Averford for a place to live. 

Stopping in London before continuing to Thornbrook Park (Lady Averfords residence), Eve has the experience pleasure of meeting Sophia's brother in-law Marcus Thorn. He's completely inebriated  not exactly at his best in that first meeting, but he still leaves quite an impression...aka....He's super hot ;) The next day Eve is off to Thornbrook Park and Marcus is left wondering if he'd imagined the lovely blue eyed woman from the night before ;)

While residing at Thornbrook Eve learns several things:

1, Lady Averford and her husband the Earl have some serious marriage issues.

2, Sophia (Lady Averford)  has all intentions of marrying her 
sister Alice off to Marcus (whether they like it or not)

3, Gabriel (the Earl) and his brother Marcus absolutely loathe each other


All the while Eve is trying to uncover what has happened to the investments her husband made so that she no longer has to rely on Sophia. Unfortunately, not everyone wants that particular truth revealed. One life has already been taken.....and Eve may be next!

My Thoughts :D
We'll, most of you know I'm a Scifi/Fantasy kinda girl. So when I got the chance to read this ARC I was excited to be out of  my comfort zone. I've never read historical romance, or any romance for that matter,
 so it was all new to me :D 

I'll start by saying, this book has romance, (and good romance ;) but I couldn't strictly confine it to one genre. It has murder and mystery, comedy and turmoil, adventure and plot twists. The characters are well developed and multifaceted. It flowed beautifully, so much so, that I read the second half in one sitting.......... I couldn't put it down ;)

Eve is a strong female lead, and I love that! At a time when women were still unable to vote, she was independent and feisty, educated and opinionated, traits that were frowned upon in women of that era.

Marcus also was very forward thinking. Enjoying a woman who asserted her independence instead of condemning her for it as so many others did.

Women's equality has come a looooong way. 
But Eve's story still hits home even today, as women juggle career and family. For a woman, "in charge" is often synonymous with being bitchy, bossy or severe. And still there are men who are appalled by it....and men who embrace it ,and love them for it :D

Enough seriousness! I have to give an honorable mention to Aunt Agatha, the not so crazy Aunt that sees, and speaks to ghosts. She's simply delightful and I'd love to have her at any boring dinner party...
Shes my kind of gal ;)


My sincerest thanks to the author, Sherri Browning for allowing me to read and review this ARC.  

You can find Sherri Browning and information on her previous books and upcoming releases at :

13 comments:

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

This is my first time pay a visit at here and i am
genuinely impressed to read all at one place.

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

Sweet blog! I found it while browsing on Yahoo News.
Do you have any suggestions on how to get
listed in Yahoo News? I've been trying for a while but
I never seem to get there! Appreciate it

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

Wow! In the end I got a web site from where I can really obtain valuable information concerning my study and knowledge.

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

I was suggested this website by my cousin. I'm not sure whether this post is written by him as no one else
know such detailed about my difficulty. You are incredible!
Thanks!

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

When I initially commented I clicked the "Notify me when new comments are added" checkbox and now each
time a comment is added I get four emails with the same comment.
Is there any way you can remove me from that service? Thanks!

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

I am truly happy to read this weblog posts which consists of tons of useful information, thanks for providing these kinds of data.

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi there are using Wordpress for your site platform? I'm new
to the blog world but I'm trying to get started and set up my own. Do you need any
coding expertise to make your own blog? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

Awesome blog! Do you have any helpful hints for aspiring writers?
I'm hoping to start my own blog soon but I'm a little lost on everything.
Would you suggest starting with a free platform like Wordpress or go for
a paid option? There are so many choices out there that I'm totally overwhelmed ..

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

I love what you guys tend to be up too. Such clever work and reporting!
Keep up the good works guys I've added you guys to
my personal blogroll.

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

Excellent goods from you, man. I have understand your stuff previous to and you are
just extremely wonderful. I actually like what you have acquired here, really like what you are saying and the way in which you say it.

You make it entertaining and you still care for to keep it sensible.
I can't wait to read much more from you. This is
really a terrific web site.

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

Wow, amazing blog structure! How long have you ever been blogging for?
you made running a blog look easy. The whole look of your
website is excellent, let alone the content material!

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

Very quickly this website will be famous among all blogging people, due to it's nice content

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

Hello there! This is kind of off topic but I need
some help from an established blog. Is it difficult
to set up your own blog? I'm not very techincal but I can figure things out pretty quick.
I'm thinking about making my own but I'm not sure where to begin. Do you have any points
or suggestions? With thanks